Open NOW for Applications
MMF Delima Arts Residency_ONE 2020
August – October
1st May 2020
MMF Delima Arts Residency_TWO 2020
October – December
1st July 2020
Duration of residency
The residency will be up to 12 weeks
Artists proposing to travel with small families will need to indicate this in their application
The accommodation has been booked in advance for each of our residencies to ensure our Arts Creatives a place in this much sought after Residence.
It is important when applying to state if the Arts Creative is travelling alone or with family
Accommodation will be provided (including utilities)
Studio / workspace
Fees and Support
There are no fees for application
The award comprises AUD $4,100 plus accommodation and airfare costs.
The Residency offers each individual Award Recipient:
- one economy return airfare Adelaide-Kuala Lumpur
- accommodation and studio space at Rimbun Dahan, Malaysia
- stipend of AUD$200 (approx. MYR 555.00) per week; and
- materials allowance of AUD$1,500 (approx. MYR 4,162.00)
This will be disbursed via Guildhouse on behalf of MMF.
Also included are:
- Administrative support on-site
- Access to artist lounge (WiFi equipped), library, exercise equipment, tennis court, and swimming pool
- Weekly transport to nearby supermarket
NOT included are:
- Meals or groceries, although all accommodation will include access to a self-catering, equipped kitchen
- Additional funding for materials or provided art materials
- other transport costs are the responsibility of the artist, including transport to and from Rimbun Dahan from the point of arrival in Kuala Lumpur.
- Fees for procuring and maintaining travel visas
Should they have family travelling with, provided it is available, appropriate accommodation will be given and the rent covered by the award. Travel and other expenses are to be borne by the artist/ arts creative.
An induction will be held prior to their departure to Malaysia by MMF
There will be on ground support available if needed
Please note that securing and maintaining valid visas for the duration of the residency is the responsibility of the artist. Artists are also responsible for arranging their own transport for their arrival at and departure from Rimbun Dahan – we recommend booking flights on weekdays during work hours, as navigating your way to Rimbun Dahan at night can be tricky and might result in more expensive taxi fares.
The artist is expected to work independently and in collaboration with others in the community at Rimbun Dahan and also partake in other social events made available to them while at Rimbun Dahan.
The Award Recipient must have:
- demonstrated merit in work as a visual artist, crafts person or
- demonstrated cultural awareness, including ability to operate in new
and changing environments; and
- demonstrated or potential leadership and ambassadorial skills
- The Award Recipient is required to present a report of their experiences and
learnings to the Donor after completion of the Residency and will be expected
to participate in events hosted by the Donor from time to time.
The artist is expected to be sensitive to and respectful of cultural norms and mores in their surrounding area while on the Residency and continue to act as Ambassadors for Mahmood Martin Foundation even upon their return.
They may be called upon to provide work for an exhibition sometime after the Residency and will need to be prepared for this.
Each nominee is required to submit:
(a) an application being not more than 500 words detailing their proposed area of artistic interest and travel in Malaysia including:
- an outline of the goals of their learning at the Arts Centre Rimbun Dahan and associated travel in Malaysia; and
- the educational, vocational and skills benefits of their learnings and travel to themselves, the community and South Australia generally.
(b) a short-form curriculum vitae.
(c) at least 2 examples of the nominee’s work in JPEG or MP3 format.
Referees will be helpful
Each short-listed nominee is required to attend an interview, where they will make a presentation identifying how their learning at the Arts Centre Rimbun Dahan will contribute to fostering of exchange and dialogue across communities and defining the potential benefits to their community and profession.
- A short paragraph on why the arts creative feel they will be suited to the award
- A short paragraph on what they hope to achieve as a result of the residency
- Any chronic medical problems/disabilities we should know about – no one will be prejudiced but this it to allow adequate support on the ground
- If family with be travelling with the candidate – number and ages – so that appropriate accommodation may be sought. Should there not be suitable accommodation for the current application the candidate will automatically be shortlisted for the following residency period.
Please be aware that Malaysia celebrates the main religions and there will be public holidays during this time. Most shops are open but banking and postal services may be closed during this time. Successful candidates will be informed prior to departure but it will be helpful if they looked this up when applying. School holidays are also at different times to that in other countries.
It is with great pleasure for us to announce that Clive and Wendy at Premier Art Supplies have confirmed their support for our artists.
They will provide artists between 10 -15% off the cost of materials for a limited time.
Strict conditions will apply.
Thank you very much for your generosity Clive !